Monday, September 27, 2021

I CHANGED MY PHONE NUMBER

 Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Several months ago I gave up the telephone number I'd had since 2009. I hoped I'd have more privacy with a different number, and I was fed up with certain phone calls.

One type of annoying call came from DirecTV. Their robocalls rang me every single day, sometimes as often as seven times. DirecTV wanted me to call because I qualified for 50% off on my account. I canceled DirecTV at the beginning of the year. I have no account. No matter how many numbers I blocked, DirecTV always got through, so I seldom answered my phone. Farewell, DirecTV.

The other calls began a few days after I got the phone number. They were for a woman named Lisa. I won't reveal her last name or where she lives, although she had no problem giving out my number as her own. Apparently, my number had been hers (I think) before it was mine, but she never stopped using it. At first, the calls were from angry bill collectors who didn't believe my protestations that I am not Lisa and never have been Lisa. Later, I received calls from companies that wanted to deliver furniture and other items she'd ordered, and people who wanted to confirm appointments with her, and on and on and on. I don't know if anyone was able to figure out how to get in touch with her.

Why did she give out a phone number that wasn't hers when she bought furniture? It mystifies me.

I even received text messages from her husband, who begged her to stop messing with his mother's phone. I texted back to tell him it wasn't her number. He was quite surprised.

Then the housing shortage began. In addition to calls and text messages from people who wanted to buy my house, I got calls and texts from people who wanted to buy her house. I have no idea if she actually lives there or just gives out the address as her own.

Whatever. 

I get a few calls at the new number for someone else who had it. But it's not as bad as getting calls for Lisa.

Buh-bye, Lisa.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


Lisa and her husband can't find each other:


Lisa makes appointments:

Poor Lisa:



36 comments:

  1. Ha! How annoying. The same thing happened to me before. Except it wasn't a "Lisa", it was a "Victor" and apparently ol Vic did not believe in paying his bills every month. It got so bad at one point that I just stopped answering my phone altogether. Lisa and Vicshould hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get, luckily, to many junk calls, robo calls or spam risk like many I know. Unless the number is in my phone, which will show who is calling, I don't pick up. If it's an important call they will leave a message. Nothing more annoying as these companies have multiple numbers to call out on.

    Or just pick it up and blow a real loud whistle into it!!!!!!!!!! Im evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't answer my phone very often, but sometimes I'm eager to receive a call back from a company so I want to answer but since I don't have the number in my phone, I run the risk of answering a call about my car warranty running out, which is not happening.

      Delete
  3. If I had that Lisa problem, I’d change my number, too. I wonder if Lisa just innocently had her own number wrong. I once sent out a moving announcement with the incorrect photo number. Oh, wait, I spelled my name wrong, too. L-I-S-A. Sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wondered if Lisa was such an ignoramus that she couldn't keep her own number straight. I've also wondered if her name really is Lisa.

      Delete
  4. That is plain weird. I wonder what game Lisa is playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of it must be avoiding bills, but her husband texted me. That was the weirdest part.

      Delete
  5. That really is frustrating and annoying. I actually had no idea that they assigned people's old numbers to different clients. We get our fair share of telemarketers and robo calls, and we just hang up. Better if we didn't get them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much gave up on answering the phone during the Lisa days and I've kept the habit.

      Delete
  6. How annoying! I'd change my number again too. Love that meme "I borrowed money and they expect me to pay it back" -- what a shock, LOL! But it is to some people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the person who will not answer calls from numbers I do not know, and I will not respond to texts from people I don't know.
    It sounds like Lisa's trying to run away and hide from husbands and bill collectors and such.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have what is supposed to be her address. I've always wondered about checking it out. Maybe it's an empty lot.

      Delete
    2. You could check it out virtually using Google maps.

      Delete
  8. I can imagine how annoying that must have been, Janie. Here's hoping your new number will give you peace and quiet. Lisa sounds like some kind of a scam artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new number is much better. The calls I got for the previous owner have died away.

      Delete
  9. I hear you. We no longer use our listed number for anything other than as an answering machine, ringer muted. The ever flowing sales calls have flooded it.
    Your Lisa is our "renew your car warranty before it expires." Our old car has no warranty, thank you. These robo-calls leave an average of four messages a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robo calls are so annoying. I've gotten the car warranty calls and of course, I used to get the DirecTV calls.

      Delete
  10. I might consider getting another new number--good grief! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first couple of times I got calls for Lisa the people were really nasty.

      Delete
  11. Yep Lisa is going to have to find another number to use! Or we can feel pity for whoever gets assigned your old phone number.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure Lisa doesn't intend to pay for that furniture -- that's why she gave them her old number!

    Seriously, what a pain. I don't blame you for changing it. I hope this one works out better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if the furniture delivery people couldn't contact her, then they couldn't deliver the furniture so she didn't have to pay for it. Maybe it was her way of canceling the order.

      Delete
  13. Such phone calls piss us all off, my mum didn't get that calls were robocalls and not a person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect a lot of the calls confuse older people and some have been scammed into paying money they don't owe.

      Delete
  14. I only answer calls that are on my contact list. If any of the other calls I get are important, I figure they can leave a message. I used to live in one area code and now live in another. All calls from the earlier area code are spam calls, so I ignore them, then block them, which does no good because new ones just keep rining. I have a pretty melody on my phone so it's not that annoying. I can only imagine how awful it would be if it were to actually ring. Like they used to -- in the olden days of my youth. I'm sorry you have to deal with these types of calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Inger, but I don't have to deal with the calls much since I changed my number. A phone that rings, that I had to get up to answer, would drive me nuts.

      Delete
  15. I've had cell phones since the nineties and had little trouble. Missing all the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This situation would be so frustrating; no wonder you changed your number. I hope the new one is okay on a long-term basis.

    I don't like robocalls but they don't scare me. My mother, on the other hand, gets really upset now that she is having trouble processing information. I keep trying to get her to just ignore the calls if she doesn't know the number on the ID screen. It's difficult for those with memory loss to remember what to do, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robocalls seem to frighten quite a few older folks. The first time I heard the one that said agents from the IRS are coming to arrest you, that surprised me. I haven't gotten one of those calls in a long time. I don't know if the scam didn't pay enough or if the scammers were prosecuted and stopped.

      Delete
  17. I think we all know the frustration of such phone calls

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.