Monday, January 25, 2010

HOPE SPRINGS

Gentle Readers,

I just finished watching a charming little 2003 movie called "Hope Springs."

It was on the Independent Film Channel - a favorite of mine - and I DVRed it. My DVR is one of my closest personal friends.

Anyway, in addition to Heather Graham, Minnie Driver, and an especially amusing Mary Steenburgen, "Hope Springs" stars Colin Firth. I believe I may have mentioned in another post that I am rather fond of Colin Firth.

Mr. Firth did not disappoint in this film. He is humorous and simply, simply delightful and absolutely delicious.

After being dumped by his fiancee (yes, women are dumpers too), the character Colin -hmmm, the name seems familiar, oh yes, Colin is played by Colin Firth - finds love with another woman in a small town where everybody knows everybody else's business.

Thus, I recommend "Hope Springs."

Colin Firth, I did not write the following lines, but I dedicate them to you:

Wild Nights--Wild Nights!
Were I with thee
Wild Nights should be
Our luxury!

Futile--the Winds--
To a Heart in port--
Done with the Compass--
Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden--
Ah, the Sea!
Might I but moor--Tonight--
In Thee!

This poem was written by one of my favorite poets, and I bet you'll never guess who it is, writing about wild nights and rowing in Eden. Guess, guess, guess.
Have you give up?

Answer, please:

Emily Dickinson.

Yes, the little spinster of Amherst. But oh, how I hate that word spinster, so let's call her the Artist of Amherst. She knew what she was writing about. Sometimes people can describe without experiencing because they are true poets -- the Namers and Sayers of our world who can take human emotions and experiences and give words to them that we can't do ourselves.

I can say Colin Firth, I'd like to get it on with you, but it just doesn't have the ring of Wild Nights--Wild Nights!

Emily Dickinson shut herself away from the world, became a virtual recluse, so she could create her art.

And so I thank you Ms. Dickinson. You definitely tasted a liquor never brewed.

Love,

Dumped First Wife

I learned today that sometimes people inflict physical pain on themselves to escape the emotional pain they're undergoing. A good thing to know. A comfort to know. If you have done such a thing, stop, get help, but know you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.