Friday, September 25, 2026

SADNESS SET IN WEDNESDAY

 Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I didn't have to work Wednesday, so I asked the girls' Auntie Maureen if she'd like to go out gallivanting around with me. Maureen expressed a willingness to gallivant that pleased me greatly. 

I picked up Maureen in Steve*, the redmobile 🚗🚗🚗, and off we drove, two gad abouts. Before we could continue our good times, I had to stop by the office to see my favorite IT guys briefly. Wouldn't take more than 10 minutes. I couldn't take Maureen in with me (secrets abound within), but she didn't mind waiting with Steve.

The security guard, Will, met me at the office door, only to tell me IT is no more. "Bob" & "Brian" had been fired as part of a sweep across the country to get rid of IT employees. I know the company is switching over to AI, but does that mean IT people are no longer needed to discipline our computers when they misbehave? 

Bob and Brian were long-term employees who had assisted me numerous times in the office or over the phone after I became a remote employee. They were kind, always made information clear, and sometimes we shot the shit for a few minutes. I hope they've moved on to better jobs where they are appreciated, because the company I work for appreciates no one. Values no one.

Will walked around the floor with me as we talked about how much the company has changed for the worse. The fourth floor of the office building that the business spent more than a million dollars to remodel is a ghost town. The return to office was a failure. Most employees simply wouldn't do it. They quit and got remote jobs if they weren't granted a work-from-home accommodation as I was.

Workers are also sick of ever changing metrics that can never be met, benefits taken away, wages that don't come close to meeting the cost of living. You'd think we're Wal-Mart employees. I have a college degree and multiple accreditations and licenses. I was criticized recently for saying okay too many times during a phone call with a client. How many more nits are there to pick? 

I told Maureen about my beloved IT guys as we took off for Town Center (an upscale shopping center I seldom visit because it's far away and the traffic is horrible), where we planned on having lunch. The rain already coming down hard at the office became a deluge through which we could barely see.  ⛈️🚘😒

But we arrived safely and enjoyed a nice lunch together before heading home in rush hour traffic that began before 4 p.m. We used the time between slow-moving vehicles to vent to one another about how much we despise 🟧 and ICE.

The two best dogs in the world greeted me when I returned to our home. But I felt a heaviness that wouldn't go away. A sadness for employees who have done nothing wrong but are fired after years of hard work. The never ending anxiety for our country and what the felon did yesterday, today, and what he might do tomorrow.

I awoke multiple times Wednesday night and had nightmares in which I saw the face of an ugly, old white man threatening me.

Some good news: Alice is making progress. She learns from Princess. Princess' training included a Princess, sit at the conclusion of a walk. I take off her leash, stroke Princess's head, look into her eyes, and say, Princess, free. Then she is allowed to run off to the family room or wreak havoc somewhere else in the house.

After Princess takes off, Alice now sits, waits to have her leash removed, allows me to pet her (which is a big deal), and waits for me to say, Alice, free. 

I'm such a proud dog mom.

Junebug, free.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

P,S. I'm off this weekend and have lots to do, so I'll see you Monday.

*My vehicles are usually ladies. Steve is an exception, named after former Indiana University basketball superstar Steve Alford, who is now the coach of the Nevada Wolf Pack. He plans on retiring at the end of the 2026-2027 season.



Steve the basketball player, not the car
oo la la
🏀⛹️

16 comments:

  1. Glad you got out and about with your friend. Sad about the conditions at work and the IT guys. Made my heart smile to know Alice is doing the same routine as Princess!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't tell at first if Alice wasn't very smart or if she needed more training. Now I know it's the latter.

      Delete
  2. I don't know whether to be more terrified for my children and grandchildren or furious and disgusted at the lack of loyalty and caring for people's futures. How will they support themselves--eat, live, etc. AI really could be the death of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe the gloom-and-doom warning that AI will kill everyone by the end of the decade, but it's certainly causing trouble and it will only get worse.

      Delete
  3. It’s heartbreaking to see loyal employees treated as disposable, especially when they’ve been the backbone of keeping things running. I’m glad you and Maureen still found a way to enjoy the day despite the storm. Alice following Princess’s lead is such a sweet reminder that patience pays off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treating us as disposable especially bothers me because the company wasn't this way when I first worked there. It's sad to see it change to the ugly corporate model of hiring young people fresh out of high school or college, training them, and getting rid of them the second you don't like them.

      Delete
  4. Always nice to spend time with friends! That really sucks about your IT guys, though. I fear for the future with all this AI stuff. It's developing too quickly, with no safeguards. And of course, the orange menace can certainly ruin one's day any time. Wonderful that Alice is making such great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly the felon is appointing an AI czar, but he doesn't really care about it. He's too busy having love affairs with communist leaders.

      Delete
  5. Sad that the IT Guys are no more; good that you work from home so you can avid the ghosts.
    Love that story about Alice. She's getting there and will be a joy forever.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those IT guys could solve particular problems associated with a department I handle. I don't know who will do that now.

      Delete
  6. When your work is reliant on computers, good I.T. Guys are an absolute MUST as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to hear yours were downsized. I don't see how AI could possibly be an adequate substitute, certainly not at this stage of its development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're being told AI is a substitute, but it isn't. The people who run the company lie constantly. They belong in Washington, DC.

      Delete
  7. Hey...my name is Steve so I take that as a compliment....plus you usually have girl cars.....so maybe it will be a drag car??? Lol!!!

    Sorry to read about the workplace. I agree many feel as you. The days of employees feeling oyal to a company I surmise are long gone...because of the reasons you listed...and are now mostly run by greedy..money grabbing bastards. Luckily I have been treated good at my three main jobs I've had...but know the minute Im not happy or paid enough.for my expeperitse..I will walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A drag car! I never thought of that. I was fiercely loyal to my first supervisor and to the company until they started to fuck us all over. They aren't loyal to us, so I don't care about them.

      Delete
  8. Dear Janie, I am glad you got out with your friend. Sending you my best wishes, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely Linda. Maureen and I had a good time and laughed a lot in spite of the rain.

      Delete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.