Monday, December 5, 2016

QUESTION OF THE MONTH: RETIREMENT TO REBIRTH

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

It's the first Monday in December, so it's time for Michael D'Agostino's



Michael no longer answers his own questions because he's a busy guy, but he continues to engage us in this bloghop with his interesting inquiries.

This month, Michael wants to know


“What does retirement look like for you?”

As much detail as possible is best for you. What’s your best realistic prediction for your state of affairs when you finally drive off into the sunset? What did you retire from? Do you have a partner/kids/grandkids or more? Where are you living? What do you do with your free time? Do you travel and take adventures? Or do you make a nice cosy nest and get comfortable in it? If you’re already retired, feel free to talk about how your retirement compares to what you expected it to be.

My answer:

I retired from my former life when I moved to Florida and got divorced. I thought life had little in store for me because I broke my back in 2009. Although I "recovered," I'm not supposed to lift more than one pound, bend, twist, push, pull, and so on. 

But then one night, I held a sugar cube between my teeth, gulped down a magic potion, and a green fairy whispered in my ear that my destiny was to be The Queen Of Grammar. I was quite surprised, but who was I to deny my destiny?

I was reborn.

I started Janie Junebug Righting & Editing. I enjoy it when a book comes along for me to edit, or when I can use my blog to address your grammatical concerns.




Of course, in real life, I am also Lorelai Gilmore. Running The Dragonfly Inn keeps me busy, and all the coffee Luke makes for me keeps me talking fast. I also must deal with Rory, who hasn't really grown up.



In addition to Luke, I spend time with Willy Dunne Wooters. I don't think of him as a partner. He's more of a "part-time lover and a full-time friend." 

C'est Willy Dunne Wooters.
Oo la la!

I don't know what I expected of retirement, but it wasn't this. I have no free time. My life is one adventure after another. 


How can anyone plan on becoming a queen so late in life and finding a boyfriend who looks exactly like a movie star, only even more handsome? And running an inn and helping my daughter Rory find her underwear?



Yes, Mom, I have lost my mind. I don't plan on looking for it because I have too much fun without it.

Can your retirement possibly be as great as mine?


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

34 comments:

  1. Well I don't work but Tim the love of my life does but he still has another 10 years or more before he retires what we will do when that time comes I have no idea properly travel around Australia if we can afford to do so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo-Anne, you work. You don't get paid for it, but you are one of the hardest-working people I know.

      Delete
  2. LOL! I unexpectedly went into a forced retirement that looks more like a monk's retreat complete with cat. At the time I retired it was from trying to finish college (English writing major) and start a new life. I got the new life. It just wasn't what I imagined--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your retirement sounds pretty good!!
    Signed: fishducky, Empress of the Universe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully my retirement is as fun as yours. You know, minus the broken back part. Have you written about that because I don't remember that tale? I can't even picture retiring. Maybe if there's a universal wage implemented as automation swallows all employment opportunities, then I'll be able to retire. The paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle doesn't lend itself to such dreams of retirement. You are an inspiration. Your mind is too interesting to be "lost."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I written about my broken back? I seldom miss an opportunity to whine about my back. Come back from Switzerland.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you found such a great new life in retirement! I plan on moving down to Florida in four years. Won't you be my neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'll be your neighbor, but if you want to live in a neighborhood that's more expensive than mine, you'll have to buy a new house for me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reminding me it's the first of the month and I need to answer Michael's question! Your answer was fun to read! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still waiting. Three years and four months. I'll be 78. Watch me roar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny that you bring that time issue up, but I've found that now that I'm not working I seem to have less time than ever before. I guess housework and cooking dinner takes up a lot of time. And then that time-consuming blogging issue which I've been trying to rectify.

    Like your life has shown, most of us seem to adapt in one way or another. It's that or become a homeless wanderer I suppose.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always slow down on the blogging. I find that blogging breaks recharge my batteries.

      Delete
  9. Mrs. Chatterbox will be retiring in 2017 and I've been self-employed (unemployed) for a long time. I expect we'll be doing some serious traveling when she retires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picture the two of you wandering from one place to another.

      Delete
  10. Janie, you are one crazy lady and so glad we have become friends online. And how great to find a boyfriend who is even more handsome than the picture you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janie - mine happened with my mother, and then my uncle, being seriously ill at the end of their lives ... I did start blogging, and joined a few societies and groups here - which keep my brain active. If I can relieve myself of one exceedingly irritating hurdle and a few things come together then I shall just enjoy doing what I can, helping others and being relaxed about growing old disgracefully ... I too hadn't realised you'd broken your back - but glad at least you can do somethings and be around as much as possible ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very fortunate, as broken backs go. I like the idea of growing old disgracefully.

      Delete
  12. Lots of people talk about how busy they are since they retired and they say it with such glee. It's fun to do what you want and enjoy. Including watching the Gilmore Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adventures are fun! I hope my husband and I can squeeze in some traveling in the future. I'd like to see a lot of the world. All we need is money! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I life of adventure sounds like a pretty cool retirement. I guess finding more to life when you least expect it is reason enough to enjoy losing your mind a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really needed that mind anyway.

      Delete
  15. I'm sorry, you lost me at the Willy Dunne Wooters picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you stop there because you couldn't stop gazing in awe at the joyful sight of my Wooters man with a dog?

      Delete
  16. I think your editing gig is a great way to earn money and work at your own pace. I don't know what's in store for me at retirement but I hope it includes having won Publisher's Clearinghouse...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, I'll just come right out and say this: When you win, send a little my way, please. I'm sure your parents taught you to share.

      Delete
  17. First I fear I have to dabble in a bit of a career before I can consider retiring...equally as scary! You done good (seemed like a good thing to say to the grammar gal)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Breaking your back must have been scary! I'm so glad you've recovered (well, not entirely, by the sounds of it). Congratulations on the success of your editing business and on snagging Willy Dunne Wooters. He's adorable. ☺ Your retirement sounds exciting! (Especially since you're living a double life as Lorelei. ☺ ) I didn't get the chance to write that post (away on an adventure of my own), but I'm happy with the dog business and consider myself "semi-retired" at this point. Lots of time for fun.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.