Friday, July 29, 2016

FLASHBACK FRIDAY: FENCE SITTING PROHIBITED HERE

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Michael D'Agostino of A Life Examined hosts a bloghop called Flashback Friday––a time of the month when you can republish an old post of yours that maybe didn't get enough attention, or that you're really proud of, or you think is still relevant, etc. 


If you'd like to join us, Flashback Friday occurs on the last Friday of every month.

My Flashback Friday post for July is titled Fence Sitting Prohibited Here. I published it on February 3, 2010 (my third month of blogging). It has had eleven page views and received one comment. I want to publish it again as we approach another presidential election and the ensuing arguments, which always include abortion rights. 

Gentle Readers,

I confess I didn't think much of Sarah Palin, and I still don't. I wanted to be happy that McNasty had chosen a woman to be his running mate, but why did he have to choose an idiot who wears her hair so that her bangs are hanging in her eyes? (And don't go thinking I'm criticizing her looks just because she's a woman because you should hear what I have to say about former Illinois Governor Rod Bla . . . Blagoye . . . - sigh - what's his butt's hair.)

Sarah Palin was more experienced than then Senator Obama because she was the commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard? Puh - lease. And exactly how many times did she have to call out the Guard to deal with a natural catastrophe or face down rioters? She couldn't even make it through the remainder of her term in office as governor.

However, I admired one thing about Palin.

She did not sit on the fence when it came to abortion. She said that abortion was wrong and should not be allowed even in cases where the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest.

I don't agree with her, but she was right in taking a stand on one side or the other. Either abortion is murder or it's not. You can't say it's murder and then say it's o.k. in certain cases. Fence sitting prohibited here.

Now, I don't like abortion. I don't think anyone likes abortion and I hate it that abortion exists. BUT ABORTION MUST REMAIN LEGAL.

I'm amazed that I saw this on television when I was young, maybe 12 years old, and I know no one else was in the room, but a woman was on television talking about girls unbending coat hangers and using them inside themselves. I didn't know the word abortion; it wasn't a common topic of conversation then, but I knew what the woman was talking about, and I knew it was horrible.

I knew even as a 12 year old that no girl should feel so desperate that she scrapes her insides out with a coat hanger. Or goes to a butcher for an illegal abortion. No woman should hemorrhage, be left with scar tissue and unable to have children in the future, or even die, all because she could not obtain a safe, legal abortion.

Additionally, this decision should not be made for women by law-makers, the majority of whom are male. It should be a decision made by the woman, the baby's father (if possible), and a doctor.

The day a male senator or representative gets pregnant, then he can speak his mind about abortion all he wants.

But, I truly believe that if men got pregnant, then we would have abortion clinics on every street corner.

God bless you, Gentle Readers, and I pray you never have to face the decision to abort or not to abort, but as long as the decision must be made, let it be made with the knowledge that no coat hangers will be involved.

Love,


Dumped First Wife

28 comments:

  1. Excellent points and ones I completely agree with. Thankfully, abortion is largely a non-issue here in Canada and has been legal for a long time. Sarah Palin and her ilk want to send America back to the dark ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palin never left the dark ages. Trump should have chosen her as his running mate.

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised he didn't. What a nightmare that would be!

      Delete
    3. I don't think he didn't do because he's too intelligent. The people who work for him probably put some names in a hat and he chose one.

      Delete
  2. Hi Janie - I agree ... abortion should be legal and available to all women at all times. Women have always suffered with the prospect of unwanted babies ... and have through the centuries dealt with it whichever way they can. It takes two ... which half of the population remembers that part ... it must be available ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the British move, Vera Drake, about a woman who performed abortions as a service to the community. She didn't charge anyone. I've since learned that this practice was not unusual. Frank Sinatra's mother was the abortionist in their neighborhood. While I think these women who performed abortions had good intentions (no doubt a bad egg or three sneaked in), it's probably better for an abortion to be performed in a clinical setting. Or if it's performed in the home, then let it be done by someone who is licensed, in the way that a midwife is a professional who delivers babies.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post Janie! I'm glad you reposted on this very important topic. And I agree with you wholeheartedly!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I've heard lots of horror stories about illegal abortions. We can't go back to the (relatively recent) Dark Ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read someone's memoirs long ago that included an episode with a friend of the writer who needed an abortion before they were legal. The two friends looked up the symptoms of German measles, the woman went to the doctor and told him she was pregnant and had had German measles, and before you know it, she'd had a safe, legal therapeutic abortion.

      Delete
  5. I hate the fact that our society has become so polarized and politicized that it's hard to accept that people can be AGAINST abortion but still believe in freedom of choice. This should never have become a political football. Every child deserves to be wanted and I pity the person raised by parents that don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that abortion should not be part of political arguments. It should be between the woman, a healthcare professional, the father (if possible), and God.

      Delete
  6. The most profound thing I ever read on this topic was: when a person is denied the legal right to control the use of their own body, that is the legal definition of slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polite discourse is rare in the political arena or on social media. And you're so right about how having a majority of men making the laws influences what exactly the laws are.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whether for or against legal abortion, I've always felt that the need for it was based on our twisted society standards and unjust applications of shame. If kids weren't taught that sex was a dirty thing, they wouldn't all be rushing out to have it. If safe sex was taught as a matter of fact instead of an option or social stigma or simply a way to avoid pregnancy, more people would embrace it. It should be like brushing one's teeth. If we lived in a society that cherished children and didn't treat them like financial burdens or commodities, having one wouldn't seem so terrifying. If we lived in a world were men and women were just humans with niether oppressing the other and womens bodies weren't objectified or treated as commodities... well, the world would be a different place and abortion, rape, prostitution, etc... might not even exist. But, that's not the world we live in and women need to have choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your intelligent and reasonable position with us. Sex is not dirty. Sexual desire is natural. So many people are terrified that young people will learn about birth control, and then (God forbid) they'll use it. And we won't have so many unmarried teenagers with babies.

      Delete
  9. Janie, I agree with you on abortion; it's not right. Lawmakers can't legislate morality. Politicians use these issues to secure votes pure and simple. They don't care that it is a good thing or not, just as long as it gets them elected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful that no one has called me a murder promoting heathen.

      Delete
  10. I got pregnant very young and with a man that I was not married to. I never thought of abortion because I personally couldn't live with that. BUT, you'd be amazed at the people who suggested it in secret in my ear. These are the same people that talk against it. So, YES, I agree with your point. You either are for it being legal or not. There should be flip flopping and stand your ground!!!

    P.S. While I personally couldn't bring myself to do an abortion, I firmly believe it should continue to be a woman's CHOICE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The choice should be there for all women.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That post was worthy of being reposted. Maybe once a year...

    Well done, excellent discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am I glad that I stopped by your blog for Flashback Fridays ~ a little late. Very down to earth and well thought out reflection on abortion. I share the same sentiment. Thanks!
    https://meinthemiddlewrites.com/

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.