Friday, June 24, 2016

FLASHBACK FRIDAY

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Michael D'Agsotino of A Life Examined decided to start a new bloghop. It's called Flashback Friday––a time of the month where you can republish an old post of yours that maybe didn't get enough attention, or that you're really proud of, or you think is still relevant, etc. 


If you'd like to join us, we've decided to make this happen on the last Friday of every month. Enter your blog's name into the Linky List below and grab the code so you can put the list on your page and spread the word.

And Summer Will Not Come Again first appeared on my blog on June 12, 2010. You might recognize the title, as it's the same as that of a well-known short story by Sylvia Plath. Get a tissue to wipe your eyes a bit after you read this one. It's about Robin, a foster dog who lived with me briefly during the spring and summer of 2010.


Robin has come here to live.

Robin has come here to die.

Robin is some sort of bulldog mix. She has had I don't know how many litters of puppies. She has a terrible limp. She has a scar around her neck from being chained. Her ribs are sticking out.

And she has cancer. About four months to live, according to the vet.

My son's young lady love wants her to know what happiness is before she dies, and I think she already has it figured out.

Happiness is curling up in a chair in the family room and getting your tummy scratched.

Happiness is regular meals.

Happiness is a fenced in back yard where you can run with the other dogs and feel free but safe.

Happiness is batting at Mom's arm when she's reading to make sure Mom doesn't forget you for one second and you don't get in trouble for wanting attention.

Happiness is getting into Mom's bed at night and cuddling up as close to Mom as you can get.

I named her Robin because it is still spring. Summer will arrive soon, but right now, at this moment, it is still spring and the robins return in the spring.

So Robin has come to us during the spring. We will see her through the summer and care for her and give her all the love she wants and needs.

Then when fall arrives and it is time for the dying that precedes winter, we will see Robin through her death and we will make sure the death is as calm and gentle as possible.

Robin, you are loved.

Robin, this is what happiness is.

I am so glad you are here.



The first time I post Robin's story, it received four comments. It's gained more attention since then. It's one of my favorite posts, so that why I use it today. I still miss Robin.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

Please join us!


You are next... Click here to enter

25 comments:

  1. This was an admirable thing you and your family did for Robin, Janie. Your love and generosity of spirit warms my heart. Taking care of a terminally ill dog is emotionally draining and requires great fortitude. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kind, Debbie, but Robin did for me than I did for her.

      Delete
  2. That's the kindness we can bestow our fellow creatures. I'm glad she knew love and peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flashback Friday is a good idea, but I already have a habit of recycling old posts. Loved your post about Robin, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a truly magnificent person for doing that for Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Nothing magnificent about me. Just did what was right.

      Delete
  5. This is very sweet and sad, "robins return in the spring."
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sweet and tender. I've put down several dogs and it's always traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Faulkner, the dog of my life, died the month after I wrote this post.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Oh, good. I sat here and thought, I wonder what I can do to make fishducky cry.

      Delete
  8. Happiness is being loved by you. Robin was a lucky dog at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for all the love I've received from dogs. They don't hate me. They don't criticize me. They're loyal to me, and I'm loyal to them.

      Delete
  9. That's sweet you took Robin in and her last days were full of happiness. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a bittersweet story but I am so happy that Robin got some wonderful belly rubs and so much love. Only special loving people do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a sweetheart. She adapted so easily to living with us.

      Delete
  11. This is exactly why we started this bloghop. I'm so glad you were able to get more attention to this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw! Lucky Robin, to find you in the end. Thanks for re-sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - that is a tear jerker! What a wonderful post. So glad you shared it for Flashback Friday so that I got to read it. She was a fortunate dog to spend those last months with you.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.